These days, social media and business go hand-in-hand. Using social media for marketing is a smart move for your business. But are you using social media wrong?
In this article, I’ll address why you need social media marketing and the pitfalls that many marketers run into.
Whether you are a big brand, small traditional business owner or have a home business, using social media strategies are a must.
Take a look at these numbers from 2014 (according to Adweek):
- 12.8 Billion monthly active users on Facebook
- 540 Million monthly active users on Google Plus
- 1 Billion users on Twitter
- 200 Million monthly active users on Instagram
These mindboggling numbers give you huge opportunities to market your business. The chances are, you can reach many more people online than you can in your local city with the same amount of work.
As a long-time Internet marketer, I can tell you that when social media marketing is done correctly, you can extend your reach to the far corners of the world. Using social media opened up a whole new world for my business and introduced many people that I definitely would not have met otherwise.
CLICK HERE for a free training to get leads on Facebook. Learn how you can leverage and use attraction marketing in social media and beyond.
Why You are Using Social Media Wrong
Now that we’ve established why you need to be using social media for marketing, I have 4 reasons why you may be using social media wrong and not getting the results you are after.
- You are a broadcaster. Social media is about building relationships and engaging with others. If you just broadcast information, it’s a one-way street. It’s similar to listening to the radio. It’s a one to many broadcast. I see this a lot in social media. It’s ad after ad after ad. How is that working for you. Start posting more engaging content that relates to your audience, gives them something to think about and respond to.
- Ineffective Facebook ads. Using Facebook ads is a great way to get your message out there to the masses. When you get started, it’s easy to go through lots of money while you figure it all out while getting little return on your investment. The next time you want to build a Facebook ad, CLICK HERE to download a PDF for getting leads on Facebook.
- No followers. Are you lacking follower growth in social media? Take a look at your overall strategy. It’s time to make a change. Go back to the aforementioned item and examine your content. Think about how to engage and relate to your audience.
- Not enough updates. I talk to a lot of people who complain about their lack of marketing success in social media. Upon further investigation, it’s usually because they are posting about once a week or so. That just won’t cut it. This is definitely in the “using social media wrong” bucket. Your audience will not be too interested by lack of activity in your social profile. So be consistent and start posting on a regular basis. You don’t need to address every social platform. If you are short on time, choose one or two and get moving.